All of the following must be met:
- All exterior penetrations flashed and sealed to the weather barrier prior to cladding
- Window and door pan flashing installed per manufacturer specifications
- Window and door side and head flashing installed per manufacturer specifications
- Step and kick-out flashing at wall/roof intersections
- Step flashing to 4" on wall surface and integrated with wall and roof drainage plane
Windows and doors are an interruption in the wall's house wrap and therefore a vulnerable spot for water leakage. Properly installed flashing that is integrated with the other elements of the wall can help prevent water damage by directing water out rather than into the wall cavity.
See above language and reference manufacturer's instructions for installation.
- For metal and rubber membrane roofs, install continuous flashing in place of step flashing.
- For porches, install L-shaped flashing to the top of the ledger board and integrate with drainage plane (vertical leg of the flashing must extend along the wall above the ledger and the horizontal leg extends over the top of the ledger).
The EarthCraft Technical Advisor will confirm installation of flashing during mid-construction review. Confirmation may occur during a field inspection or by a review of photo documentation provided by the builder.