(Choose one of bullets below)
- Interior trim
- Cabinets and countertops
Formaldehyde is a colorless, flammable gas (at room temperature) which has a strong odor and is found in resins used in the manufacture of composite wood products and building materials. Exposure to formaldehyde may cause adverse health effects, primarily, irritation of skin, eyes, nose and throat. High levels of exposure may cause some types of cancers.
Install composite wood products certified as compliant with formaldehyde emissions for at least one of the following:
- California Airborne Toxic Control Measure to Reduce Formaldehyde Emissions from Composite Wood Products Section 93120
- ANSI/HPVA HP-1-2009
- Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturers Association (KCMA) Environmental Stewardship Program (ESP) 05-12
- GREENGUARD or GREENGUARD GOLD
At least 90% of a product must meet this requirement to be accepted.
- The builder must present product documentation demonstrating compliance of product criteria to the EarthCraft Technical Advisor at the final inspection.
- The EarthCraft Technical Advisor will review documentation provided by the builder for compliance of criteria and visually confirm compliance of criteria at final inspection.