4.408.1 Construction Waste Management
Recycle and/or salvage for reuse a minimum of 65 percent of the nonhazardous construction and demolition waste in accordance with either Section 4.408.2, 4.408.3 or 4.408.4, or meet a more stringent local construction and demolition waste management ordinance.
- Excavated soil and land-clearing debris.
- Alternate waste reduction methods developed by working with local agencies if diversion or recycle facilities capable of compliance with this item do not exist or are not located reasonably close to the jobsite.
- The enforcing agency may make exceptions to the requirements of this section when isolated jobsites are located in areas beyond the haul boundaries of the diversion facility.
4.408.2 Construction Waste Management Plan
Submit a construction waste management plan in conformance with Items 1 through 5. The construction waste management plan shall be updated as necessary and shall be available during construction for examination by the enforcing agency.
- Identify the construction and demolition waste materials to be diverted from disposal by recycling, reuse on the project or salvage for future use or sale.
- Specify if construction and demolition waste materials will be sorted on-site (source-separated) or bulk mixed (single stream).
- Identify diversion facilities where the construction and demolition waste material will be taken.
- Identify construction methods employed to reduce the amount of construction and demolition waste generated.
- Specify that the amount of construction and demolition waste materials diverted shall be calculated by weight or volume, but not by both.
4.408.3 Waste Management Company
Utilize a waste management company, approved by the enforcing agency, which can provide verifiable documentation that the percentage of construction and demolition waste material diverted from the landfill complies with Section 4.408.1.
Note: The owner or contractor may make the determination if the construction and demolition waste materials will be diverted by a waste management company.
4.408.4 Waste Stream Reduction Alternative [LR]
Projects that generate a total combined weight of construction and demolition waste disposed of in landfills, which do not exceed 3.4 pounds per square foot of the building area shall meet the minimum 65 percent construction waste reduction requirement in Section 4.408.1.
4.408.4.1 Waste Stream Reduction Alternative
Projects that generate a total combined weight of construction and demolition waste disposed of in landfills, which do not exceed 2 pounds per square foot of the building area, shall meet the minimum 65-percent construction waste reduction requirement in Section 4.408.1.
Documentation shall be provided to the enforcing agency which demonstrates compliance with Section 4.408.2, Items 1 through 5, Section 4.408.3 or Section 4.408.4.
- Sample forms found in "A Guide to the California Green Building Standards Code (Residential)" located at www.hcd.ca.gov/CALGreen.html may be used to assist in documenting compliance with this section.
- Mixed construction and demolition debris (C&D) processors can be located at the California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle).
Copyright © 2021 State of California