CALGreen Section 5.410.2, Commissioning.
This section provides details for element 3: Commissioning measures shown in the construction documents.
Include commissioning measures or requirements in the construction documents (plans and specifications). Commissioning measures or requirements should be clear, detailed, and complete to clarify the commissioning process.
3.2 Compliance Method:
Compliance is achieved by including commissioning requirements in the project specifications. The commissioning specifications should include the following:
- Primary (and optionally all) commissioning requirements are included in the general specification division (typically Division 1) and clear cross references of all commissioning requirements to and from the general division are included to ensure all subcontractors are held to them.
- A list of the systems and assemblies covered by the commissioning requirements.
- Roles and responsibilities of all parties, including:
- General contractor and subcontractors, vendors, construction manager
- Commissioning provider lead
- Owner, facility staff
- Architect and design engineers
- Include the noncontractor parties in the construction specifications (information used only to provide the contractor with context for their work).
- Include who writes checklists and tests, who reviews and approves test forms, who directs tests, who executes tests, who documents test results, and who approves completed tests. These roles may vary by system or assembly.
- Meeting requirements
- Commissioning schedule management procedures
- Issue and noncompliance management procedures
- Requirements for execution and documentation of installation, checkout, and start up, including controls point-to-point checks and calibrations
- Specific testing requirements by system, including:
- Monitoring and trending
- Opposite season or deferred testing requirements, functions, and modes to be tested
- Conditions of test
- Acceptance criteria, and any allowed sampling
- Include details of the format and rigor of the test forms required to document test execution
- Include example forms is recommended
- Submittal review requirements and approval process.
- Content, authority, and approval process of the commissioning plan.
- Commissioning documentation and reporting requirements.
- Facility staff training requirements and verification procedures.
- O&M manual review and approval procedures.
- System's manual development and approval requirements and procedures.
- Definitions section.
At their discretion, the inspector confirms demonstrated compliance at Plan Intake by:
- Receipt of a copy of the commissioning specifications, or
- Receipt of a form signed by the owner or owner's representative or designer of record attesting that the owner-approved commissioning specifications are included in the construction documents.
Copyright © 2021 State of California