PHIUS+ uses the EPA ENERGY STAR New Homes (ESTAR), DOE Zero Energy Ready Home (ZERH), and EPA Indoor airPLUS (IAP) programs as prerequisites for all single-family projects, and other eligible residential projects.
The PHIUS+ Single Family Quality Assurance Workbook incorporates all of the checklist items into a single document. The single-family workbook shall be used for all PHIUS+ projects encompassing single family homes and small attached residential developments (duplexes, townhomes, etc).
All of the checklists, site visits, and tests are managed by the PHIUS+ Rater/Verifier. The PHIUS+ Rater also handles the actual submissions for EPA ENERGY STAR,DOE Zero Energy Ready Home, and EPA Indoor airPLUS certifications.
For multifamily projects, the PHIUS+ Multifamily Checklist should be used. See Section 1.5.2 for definition of multifamily. Multifamily projects that meet the eligibility criteria for the EPA ENERGY STAR New Homes (ESTAR) or EPA ENERGY STAR Multifamily New Construction Program (MFNC) and DOE Zero Energy Ready Homes (ZERH) programs shall be certified under those programs. Projects that do not meet eligibility criteria for certification under these programs shall be exempt from certification for both ESTAR and ZERH. However, the certification checklist criteria for these programs shall still be achieved in order to help ensure that multifamily projects seeking PHIUS+ Certification are not only energy efficient, but also a durable, comfortable and healthy buildings.
The EPA has released the EPA ENERGY STAR Multifamily New Construction Program (ES MFNC) which includes all multifamily buildings with more than 2 units, and less than 50% commercial space. Until January 1, 2021, PHIUS will support two paths for PHIUS+ Multifamily Quality Assurance, with requirements outlined in two separate workbooks:
- Version 2.2: Supports EPA ENERGY STAR for Homes
- Version 2.3: Supports EPA ENERGY STAR Multifamily New Construction (MFNC) Program
Projects with a permit date after January 1, 2021 will be required by EPA to follow v2.3, EPA ENERGY STAR Multifamily New Construction Program (ES MFNC).
Note: PHIUS tracks program version requirements by project contract date. PHIUS does not track project permit dates and is not responsible for a project team’s selection of the QA program version above. Teams must select the appropriate program version based on expected permit date. Even if a PHIUS contract date is before January 1, 2021, if the permit date will be after that, version 2.3 must be followed.
For full program requirements, please see Appendix G: PHIUS+ Certification for Multifamily Performance Requirements (v2.2).
Download the PHIUS+ Multifamily Quality Assurance Workbooks.
126.96.36.199 Residential Exceptions
Generally, the only cases where an eligible residential PHIUS+ project may not earn ESTAR or DOE ZERH certifications* are:
- Some retrofits, gut rehabilitations, partial renovations, or unforeseen circumstances that may arise *In such cases, a written submission should be sent to PHIUS for review during pre-certification.
- Projects in California and Alaska *While earning the actual certification is not required, the project must meet all certification criteria
- Projects in Canada / International Projects
Non-Residential commissioning protocol is currently under development. General concepts below – details are still being worked out.
The initial scope of requirements for commissioning of nonresidential buildings is focused on energy use impacts.
- Systems manual for building operators.
- Infiltration testing.
- Ventilation balancing and wattage measurement.
- Ducted heating/cooling balancing.
- Verification of envelope, air barrier, thermal bridge mitigation, and shading – that these are built to plans.
- Verification of lighting, mechanical, and process load systems per plans/energy model.
The process will be comprehensive of USGBC’s LEED requirements for basic level commissioning to support dual certification.
- Two projects experience, or
- Certification from CPMP, BCxP, ACG.
Commissioning procedures follow either:
- ASHRAE Standard 202 – 2013
- NEBB Procedural Standards for Whole Building Systems Commissioning for New Construction
3.6.3 PHIUS+ Rater/Verifier Manual
Full document can be found in Appendix E, below. The manual contains:
- Description of PHIUS+ Rater/PHIUS+ Verifier
- Certification Requirements & Maintenance
- Pre-Construction Requirements
- Technical Inspection and Field Requirements
- Post-Construction Requirements
© 2021 Passive House Alliance. All Rights Reserved.