The intent of this Imperative is to contribute toward the creation of walkable, pedestrian-oriented communities that reduce the use of fossil fuel vehicles.
All projects must maintain or increase the density of the site and support a human-powered lifestyle.
All projects (except single family residential) must also:
- Be built to a human scale that is appropriate for the neighborhood.
- Provide places for occupants to gather and connect with the community.
- Provide sufficient secure, weather-protected storage for human-powered vehicles and facilities, such as showers and lockers, to encourage biking.12
- Provide at least two electric vehicle charging stations or one per thirty spaces, whichever is greater.
- Minimize impervious surface parking to no more than 20% (Transects 1-3), 15% (Transect 4), 5% for (Transect 5) and 0% (Transect 6) of the Project Area and ensures that any surface parking area larger that 20m x 30m is separated with planted areas.13
All projects (except Single Family Residences) must also:
- Either reduce single-occupancy vehicle (SOV) trips and trips by fossil fuel-based vehicles by 30% over an established baseline relevant to the projects region and occupancy type, or
- Implement at least four of the following best practices:
- Consideration and enhancement of pedestrian routes, including weather protection on street frontages.
- Advocacy in the community to facilitate the uptake of human-powered and public transportation.
- A transit subsidy for all occupants of the project.
- Carpool coordination assistance.
- Access either to subsidized car sharing and/or to hybrid or EV fleet vehicles.
- Regular survey of occupants to determine current fossil fuel-based SOV trips.
Single-family homes (all Transects) must assess how occupants can reduce their transportation impact through car sharing, use of public transportation, alternative fuel vehicles, or bicycles and implement at least two identified strategies.
COPYRIGHT © 2020 INTERNATIONAL LIVING FUTURE INSTITUTE. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Please sign in to leave a comment.