GREEN GLOBES #188.8.131.52 - ANSI #10.1.1.1 When evaluating a minimum of two different building designs and using at least three impact indicators, what is the reduction demonstrated in environmental impact?
- ≥25% (30 points)
- 24% (28 points)
- 23% (26 points)
- 22% (24 points)
- 21% (22 points)
- 20% (20 points)
- 19% (18 points)
- 18% (16 points)
- 17% (14 points)
- 16% (12 points)
- 15% (10 points)
- <15% (0 points)
The project team evaluates a minimum of two different building designs using ASTM E2921-13 and the following assessment protocol to select the building with the lower environmental impact.
The life cycle assessment reports the following life cycle impact indicators:
- Global warming potential (GWP)/climate change;
- Acidification potential;
- Eutrophication potential;
- Ozone depletion potential (ODP); and
- Smog potential.
The proposed final design of the building with the lower anticipated environmental impact achieves the following performance targets compared to the reference design:
- A minimum 5% reduction each, for at least three impact indicators, one of which is global warming potential; and
- No other impact indicator exceeds the reference design by more than 5%. Percentage reduction is demonstrated by adding at least three impact indicators.
Operating energy consumption and MEP systems can be included. A registered design professional verifies structural material quantities, with the exception of existing buildings.
- SimaPro Sustainability Life Cycle Assessment Carbon Footprinting
- GaBi Software Building LCA
- The Athena Impact Estimator for Buildings (Version 4.2 or later)
- ASTM E2921-13 Standard Practice for Minimum Criteria for Comparing Whole Building Life Cycle Assessments for Use with Building Codes and Rating Systems