To reduce waste and other impacts on the environment by purchasing environmentally friendly products and materials. Commit to this action by adopting a written policy.
Write, adopt, and implement an EPP guideline or policy that reduces waste or addresses zero waste products, packaging, or services.
Revise current purchasing policies to include an EPP policy. If no purchasing policy is in place, examine current procedures and how EPP principles can be incorporated to write a new one. A number of directives can be utilized for zero waste purchasing, including: adopt precautionary principle; purchase products and services that create no waste or minimize waste; avoid single use products and packaging; return to vendors wasteful packaging; reduce packaging and buy in larger units; use reusable shipping containers; purchase reused, recycled and compost products; buy remanufactured equipment; lease, rent and share equipment; or buy durables (using life-cycle cost analyses) (www.ResponsiblePurchasing.org). Policies may be included as part of Sustainable, Green, Corporate Responsibility, Social Responsibility, and/or Climate Change Purchasing Policies or Plans. To achieve additional credits, include the following in the EPP policy:
- Preference for durable goods (to achieve Purchasing Credit 2)
- Preference for certified sustainably produced paper and wood products (to achieve Purchasing Credit 3)
- Preference for used, refurbished, and/or remanufactured goods over new items (to achieve Purchasing Credit 6)
- Any purchasing policy that reduces waste or addresses zero waste products, packaging or services not currently recognized in any category of the rating system. Up to three actions can be submitted. (Purchasing Credits 7.1-7.3)
- Requirement to purchase minimum of 30% post-consumer recycled content office/copy paper (Closed Loop Credit 1)
- Requirement to purchase minimum of 20% post-consumer recycled content janitorial paper products (Closed Loop Credit 2)
- Written copy of the EPP guideline or policy adopted that addresses zero waste issues. Receipts or purchasing reports can also be provided.
- A narrative describing the policy and how it is implemented.
© Copyright 2020 GBCI. All Rights Reserved.