Expel internally generated pollutants and improve air quality in the breathing zone through an increased supply of outdoor air or increased ventilation efficiency.
Increase Outdoor Air Supply (Max: 3 points)
Choose between the following:
Implement Demand-Controlled Ventilation (Max: 3 points)Verified by MEP
All regularly occupied spaces meet the following requirements:
- A demand-controlled ventilation system regulates the outdoor ventilation rate to keep CO2 levels at maximum intended occupancy less than the thresholds specified in the table below:
- Carbon dioxide is measured at the air exhaust diffusers or in occupied space at 1.1-1.7 m [3.6-5.6 ft] above the floor (away from doors, windows, air supply and zones where occupants may exhale directly into the sensor). At least one sensor is used for each major occupancy zone (or per air handling unit if a single zone is served by multiple air handling units). If occupancy density/pattern/usage is different in two adjacent areas, each area must be considered a separate zone.
Implement Displacement Ventilation (1 point)
Projects implement a displacement ventilation system for heating and/or cooling, with one of the following as a basis for design:
- ASHRAE Guidelines RP-949.
- REHVA Guidebook No. 01 (Displacement Ventilation in non-industrial premises).
- ASHRAE's UFAD Guide: Design, Construction and Operations of Underfloor Air Distribution Systems. Air supply temperature is slightly cooler or warmer than the desired space temperature. Air distribution system is installed at a raised floor height whereby the underfloor area can be cleaned on an annual basis.
Implement Advanced Air Distribution (Max: 3 points)Verified by MEP
At all workstations, the following requirements are met:
- Conditioned air is supplied via an individual diffuser that is positioned no further than 0.8 m [2.6 ft] from an occupant's head.
- Occupants are given control over the direction of the supplied airflow and supply air speed (within 0.0-1.2 m/s [0.0-3.9 ft/s] in the head region).
- Supplied air uses one of the strategies specified in the table below:
Background mechanical system is used for ventilation
Dedicated outdoor air system is used for ventilation