Foster habitat for native wildlife that is necessary for plant reproduction by conserving or installing plants that are native to the site’s ecoregion.
- Conserve existing appropriate native plants and/or install new native plants that, according to the SITES Native Plants Calculator, equal a native plant score of at least:
- 20 percent total native plant score 3 points
- 40 percent total native plant score 4 points
- 60 percent total native plant score 6 points
- Conserve a percentage of the site’s existing appropriate native plants in Vegetation and Soil Protection Zones (VSPZs) (see Pre-Design P2.3: Designate and communicate VSPZs).
- The requirements apply to existing appropriate native plants as identified in the site assessment (see Pre-Design P2.2: Conduct a pre-design site assessment). This option is limited to conserving individual native plants in situ, not ones that are growing within a preserved native plant community (see Soil+Veg C4.7: Conserve and restore native plant communities).
- Conservation calculations are measured by surface area of existing native plant area.
- Install new appropriate native plants to equal a percentage of the site’s final vegetated area
- New native plant calculations are measured by surface area of final vegetated area, using estimated vegetated cover within 10 years of installation.
- Ensure the section of the site assessment (see Pre-Design P2.2: Conduct a pre-design site assessment) is complete, shows existing vegetated area, and distinguishes which plants are existing native species.
- Ensure the section of the site maintenance plan (see O+M P8.1: Plan for sustainable site maintenance) is complete and describes the on-going management activities to protect the integrity of the VSPZs.
- Native plants can be used to express multiple styles of design.
- On sites with existing native vegetation, design the site to preserve native plants, where possible.
- On previously developed sites, use local and regional governmental agencies, consultants, educational facilities, and native plant societies as resources for the selection of native plants appropriate for the site.
- Consult qualified professionals (e.g., an arborist, biologist, environmental scientist) to conduct a vegetation assessment and identify appropriate plant species for the site.
© Copyright 2020 GBCI. All Rights Reserved.