Identify specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely project goals by engaging site users and stakeholders during the design process to supplement professional expertise with local knowledge.
Engage potential site users and stakeholders during the following design phases:
1. Site assessment process and program plan
- Engage site users and stakeholders in identifying specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely project goals.
- Identify the programmatic and functional needs of the various site user groups.
- Ensure the section of the site assessment (see P2.2: Conduct a pre-design site assessment) is complete and describes the process of engaging site users and stakeholders (see Pre-design P2.1: Use an integrative design process). Incorporate the knowledge gained about the site and local area to into the program plan.
- Provide the site users and stakeholders with multiple schematic design alternatives and associated outcomes using visual representations.
2. Design development presentation and review
- Invite the site users and stakeholders to the design development presentation and review.
3. Present the design to the public
- Present the design to the public in at least two forms (e.g., website, community meeting, newspaper article, civic display).
- Solicit input and feedback in imaginative and flexible ways, such as through websites; surveys; visual preference questionnaires; charrettes; focus groups; field visits and tours; workshops; geographic information system (GIS) modeling and mapping; and facilitated, interactive exercises.
- Consider using a variety of approaches to garner more widespread public participation and to present designs (e.g., web-based or town hall-style presentations).
- Engage a wide variety of community members by providing food, childcare, transportation, mediators, interpreters, and written translations during public meetings, and take special effort to include less influential groups or individuals. Conduct meetings at community development centers and other convenient local gathering places.