To support energy management and identify opportunities for additional energy savings by tracking building-level and system-level energy use.
Install meters for future tenant spaces so that tenants will be capable of independently metering energy consumption (electricity, chilled water, etc.) for all systems dedicated to their space. Provide a sufficient number of meters to capture total tenant energy use with a minimum of one meter per energy source per floor.
Install advanced energy metering for all base building energy sources used by the building.
The advanced energy metering must have the following characteristics.
- Meters must be permanently installed, record at intervals of one hour or less, and transmit data to a remote location.
- Electricity meters must record both consumption and demand. Whole-building electricity meters should record the power factor, if appropriate.
- The data collection system must use a local area network, building automation system, wireless network, or comparable communication infrastructure.
- The system must be capable of storing all meter data for at least 36 months.
- The data must be remotely accessible.
- All meters in the system must be capable of reporting hourly, daily, monthly, and annual energy use.
© Copyright U.S. Green Building Council, Inc. All rights reserved.