Encourage resilient product life cycles through the design of products that can be effectively modified to fit changing circumstances. Modifications may be extensive, but feasible.
Select products and design assemblies that exhibit a combination of a least three (3) of the properties during their use phase:
- Choose recycling-compatible materials (as far as possible).
- Avoid using materials which require separating before recycling (re-use is ok, subject to performance testing).
- Use as few components and component types as possible (without compromising the structural integrity or function of the product).
- Integrate components (which relate to the same function) where possible.
- Standardize the use of fasteners – use commonly available parts and maintain consistency within the design.
- Make components easily separable.
- Apply non-contaminating markings (e.g. through etching or molding) to materials for ease of sorting.
- Maintain good access to components and fasteners. Consider making the plane of access to components the same for all components.
- Do not paint plastic parts or apply other coatings which may contaminate other plastics when recycled.
- Consider the use of ADSM technology for non-temperature-critical products.
© Copyright 2020 GBCI. All Rights Reserved.
Please sign in to leave a comment.