To improve efficiency of the waste management system.
CITIES, COMMUNITIESProvide smart waste management systems using any or both of the following options listed below or adopt the supporting policy to develop smart waste management systems for the city. Points are awarded based on the percentage of total waste generated by the city which is handled by the smart systems.
Table 9. Points for Smart Waste Management
Option 1. Pneumatic Transport Systems
- Loading Stations- Design public and private areas with hatches, called loading stations. Two pipes, one for compostable and other for recyclable waste should run parallel underground.
- Transport Network- Design underground transport network with appropriate diameter (500mm) 3-layer Polyethylene pipes. PVC conduits (compressed air and system communication) should run parallel to waste pipes.
- Central Waste Handling Facility- All pipes shall be designed to transfer waste for compaction. Through automated software this waste shall then be directed to proper container, further trucked for recycling.
Option 2. Smart Bin & Route OptimizationSubmit a plan for route optimization for the waste transportation. The plan must include information about sensor bin location and route optimization of waste vehicles moving within the city.
- Sensor Bins: Ultrasonic sensors installed in trash bins to guide fill level of waste and a communication system will transfer this information to the cloud for further processing and analysis.
- Sensor Bins with Radio frequency identification (RFID) technology for e-waste: Electronic waste bins installed with ultrasonic sensors and RFID technology to automatically identify and track tags attached to products. The tags containing electrically stored information will exchange information between cloud and trucks for disposal or directly for the waste bins where the information from each bin is conveyed to the cloud and product recycling can be eased.
- Route Optimization: Information analyzed at the cloud will be processed further and sent to waste vehicle operators to optimize the fleet routing for waste collection.
© Copyright U.S. Green Building Council, Inc. All rights reserved.