Promote mental health and well-being through a commitment to mental health education, programming and initiatives.
Commit to Mental Health Promotion
The project or organization is committed to supporting the mental health and well-being of all regular building occupants through the following:
At least three current or future mental health promotion programs or initiatives (e.g., education or awareness efforts, offering mental health screenings, stress management programs, trainings offered by a qualified in-house or contracted professional).
Promotion of the efforts above to occupants (e.g., organization-wide email reminders, posters).
Tailoring the efforts above to the culture and needs of the target population (e.g., why a focus on stress management, sleep or nature incorporation) as established by at least one of the following sources:
- Local or national mental health data, research or trends.
- Occupant survey responses.
- Occupant interviews or focus groups.
Promote Mental Health Literacy
All employees are offered education and resources that address mental health literacy, including the following:
- Information about mental health and common mental health conditions, including, at minimum: causes, signs and symptoms of stress, depression, anxiety and substance abuse and addiction.
- Strategies for supporting personal mental health and well-being, covering, at minimum: regular self-care practices, positive coping skills, and behaviors that influence mental health and well-being (e.g., sleep, nutrition, physical activity).
- Local mental health organizations, self-help groups and help and crisis lines (call, text and chat).
Note: Education must be culturally appropriate and literacy level appropriate. Education can come in the form of trainings, brochures, videos, posters, pamphlets, newsletters and/or other written or online information.
If the requirements of Part 2: Promote Mental Health Literacy are met through the provision of educational materials, then these can be counted toward Part 2: Promote Health and Wellness Education in Feature C01: Health and Wellness Awareness.
ADDITIONAL POINT OPPORTUNITY
To earn an additional point for WELL Core and MFR Certification, projects should provide education and information to tenants.
© International WELL Building Institute