Ensure site performance by communicating and verifying the implementation of sustainable practices throughout the construction process.
- Designate an integrated design team member (see Pre-Design P2.1: Use an integrative design process), other than the contractor, who will be responsible for verifying the site is built per the construction specifications and drawings.
- Before construction starts, hold a meeting that includes at least one person from each discipline from the integrated design team, plus the major subcontractors.
- Review construction specifications and drawings and convey the project’s sustainability principles and performance goals to the contractor and subcontractors.
- Review the steps needed to achieve all the prerequisites and pursued credits.
- Hold additional meetings as necessary when additional subcontractors are hired.
- Prior to construction, create a SITES Punchlist that assigns responsibility for each prerequisite and desired credit in a worksheet (see SITES Punchlist Worksheet) to a member of the integrated design team. That person will sign off on each assigned item as it is implemented.
- Provide SITES Punchlist Worksheet for distribution to contractor prior to the beginning of construction. Update and re-issue it as construction progresses.
- Encourage the site contractor to designate a staff person to track SITES-related work and communicate with the integrated design team as needed from design phase through maintenance period.
- To increase awareness of critical path items, coordinate with construction sequencing to produce and distribute a graphic timeline for SITES Punchlist items.
- Discuss resources (i.e., budget, staff, volunteers, equipment, and materials) available during the construction process. Determine short- and long-term sustainability principles and performance goals.
© Copyright 2020 GBCI. All Rights Reserved.