Extend the life-cycle of building and infrastructure stock, conserve resources, and reduce waste by maintaining existing structures and paving in their existing form.
Existing on-site structures and paving that are maintained in situ are eligible for this credit. Regularly occupied buildings, which are outside of the scope of SITES, should not be counted for this credit.
Surface area calculations should include any below-grade components such as foundations and footings, when determination of these elements is feasible. Exclude materials hazardous to plants, animals, or humans from total surface area calculations.
- Maintain existing structures and paving on site for at least:
- 10 percent of the total existing built surface area 2 points
- 20 percent of the total existing built surface area 3 points
- 30 percent of the total existing built surface area 4 points
- Ensure the section of the site assessment (see Pre-Design P2.2: Conduct a pre-design site assessment) is complete and shows all existing on-site structures and paving.
- Ensure the section of the site maintenance plan (see O+M P8.1: Plan for sustainable site maintenance) is complete, details the processes used for maintaining structures and paving to ensure site safety, and meets the needs of the intended uses of the site.
Identify and inventory structures (including ones that are subgrade) that can be refurbished and reused in place.
Clean, repair, and refinish existing structures and paving.
Please sign in to leave a comment.