To reduce pollution by promoting alternatives to conventionally fueled automobiles.
Provide charging infrastructure for electric vehicles for on-site parking.
Option 1. Electric Vehicle Charging
Install electrical vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) in 2% of all parking spaces used by the project or at least two spaces, whichever is greater. Clearly identify and reserve these spaces for the sole use by plug-in electric vehicles.
The EVSE must:
- Provide a Level 2 charging capacity (208 – 240 volts) or greater.
- Comply with the relevant regional or local standard for electrical connectors, such as SAE Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice J1772, SAE Electric Vehicle Conductive Charge Coupler or IEC 62196 of the International Electrotechnical Commission for projects outside the U.S.
- Be vehicle to grid connected (e.g. ISO 15118 compliant) and capable of responding to time-of-use market signals (e.g. price). Projects pursuing EA credit Grid Harmonization should incorporate EVSE into any demand response program or load flexibility and management strategies.
Option 2. Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure
Make 6% of all parking spaces or at least 6 spaces EV Ready, whichever is greater.
To be EV Ready, meet all of the following:
- Install listed raceway capable of accommodating a 208/240-volt dedicated branch circuit.
- The raceway shall not be less than trade size 1 (nominal 1-inch inside diameter).
- The raceway shall originate at the main service or subpanel and shall terminate into a listed cabinet, box or enclosure in close proximity to the proposed location of the EV space.
- The service panel and/or subpanel shall provide capacity to install a 40-ampere minimum dedicated branch circuit and space(s) reserved to permit installation of a branch circuit over-current protective device.
- When multiple charging spaces are required, raceway(s) is/are required to be installed at the time of construction.
- The raceway(s) shall originate at a service panel or subpanel(s) serving the area, and shall terminate in close proximity to the proposed location of the charging equipment into listed cabinet(s), box(es), enclosure(s) or equivalent.
- Construction documents shall indicate raceway termination point and proposed location of future EV spaces and EV chargers. Construction documents shall also provide information on amperage of future EVSE, raceway method(s), wiring schematics and electrical load calculations to verify electrical panel service capacity and electrical system, including any on-site distribution transformer(s), have sufficient capacity to simultaneously charge all EVs at all required EV spaces at full rated amperage of the EVSE
- Plan design shall be based upon a 40-ampere minimum branch circuit.
- Electrical calculations shall substantiate the design of the electrical system, to include the rating of equipment and any on-site distribution transformers and have sufficient capacity to simultaneously charge all required EVs at its full rated amperage.
- The service panel or subpanel(s) shall have sufficient capacity to accommodate the required number of dedicated branch circuit(s) for the future installation of the EVSE.
© Copyright U.S. Green Building Council, Inc. All rights reserved.
Please sign in to leave a comment.