To conserve land and protect farmland and wildlife habitat by encouraging development in areas with existing infrastructure. To promote walkability, and transportation efficiency and reduce vehicle distance traveled. To improve public health by encouraging daily physical activity.
Option 1. Surrounding density (1 point)
Locate on a site whose surrounding existing density within a ¼-mile (400-meter) offset of the project boundary is:
- At least 7 dwelling units per acre (17.5 DU per hectare) with a 0.5 floor-area ratio. The counted density must be existing density, not zoned density, or
- At least 22,000 square feet per acre (5 050 square meters per hectare) of buildable land.
For previously developed existing rural healthcare campus sites, achieve a minimum development density of 30,000 square feet per acre (6890 square meters per hectare).
Option 2. Diverse uses (1 point)
Construct or renovate a building on a site such that the building’s main entrance is within a ½-mile (800-meter) walking distance of the main entrance of at least seven existing and publicly accessible uses (listed in Appendix 1).
The following restrictions apply.
- A use may be counted as only one type (e.g., a retail store may be counted only once even if it sells products in several categories).
- No more than two uses in each use type may be counted (e.g., if five restaurants are within walking distance, only two may be counted).
- The counted uses must represent at least three of the five categories, exclusive of the building’s primary use.
|Grocery with produce section|
|Community-serving retail||Convenience store|
|Family entertainment venue (e.g., theater, sports)|
|Gym, health club, exercise studio|
|Laundry, dry cleaner|
|Restaurant, café, diner (excluding those with only drive-thru service)|
|Civic and community facilities||Adult or senior care (licensed)|
|Child care (licensed)|
|Community or recreation center|
|Cultural arts facility (museum, performing arts)|
|Education facility (e.g., K—12 school, university, adult education center, vocational school, community college)|
|Government office that serves public on-site|
|Medical clinic or office that treats patients|
|Place of worship|
|Police or fire station|
|Social services center|
|Community anchor uses (BD&C and ID&C only)||Commercial office (100 or more full-time equivalent jobs)|
|Housing (100 or more dwelling units)|
© Copyright U.S. Green Building Council, Inc. All rights reserved.