To promote bicycling and transportation efficiency and reduce vehicle distance traveled. To improve public health by encouraging utilitarian and recreational physical activity.
Bicycle NetworkLocate the space in a building such that a functional entry and/or the bicycle storage is within a 200-yard (180-meter) walking distance or bicycling distance of a bicycle network that connects to at least one of the following:
- at least 10 diverse uses (see Appendix 1); or
- a bus rapid transit stop, light or heavy rail station, commuter rail station, or ferry terminal.
Bicycle storage and shower roomsProvide short-term bicycle storage for at least 2.5% or more of all peak visitors, but no fewer than two storage spaces per project. Provide long-term bicycle storage for at least 5% of regular building occupants but no fewer than 2 spaces per project in addition to the short-term bicycle spaces. Provide at least one on-site shower with changing facility for the first 100 regular building occupants and one additional shower for every 150 regular building occupants thereafter. Short-term bicycle storage must be within 100 feet (30 meters) walking distance of any main entrance. Long-term bicycle storage must be within 100 feet (30 meters) walking distance of any functional entry. Bicycle storage capacity may not be double-counted: storage that is fully allocated to the occupants of non-project facilities cannot also serve project occupants.
Alternative Compliance Paths (ACPs)
Europe ACP: Bike Path WidthIf the requirements on the width of bike paths cannot be met due to the historic urban context of the project site, compensating measures to reduce street speeds and/or to enhance biking security on routes connecting to a qualifying bike network are acceptable:
- A security lane for biking (marked dedicated bike lane, which can be shared by cars in narrow sections of the street when no bikes are present) or a physically dedicated bike lane less than 5 feet (1.5 meters) wide
- Intersections spaced no more than 400 feet (122 meters) apart
- Travel lane widths no greater than 10 feet (3 meters) and parallel parking lane widths no greater than 8 feet (2.4 meters)
© Copyright U.S. Green Building Council, Inc. All rights reserved.