To provide access to housing at reasonable costs to sections of the society which are in need of assistance.
CITIES, COMMUNITIESAdopt a comprehensive housing policy for the city. The policy must address the following elements:
- Higher density of residential units closer to transit hubs. Achieve a minimum of two points under TR Credit Compact, Mixed Use and Transit Oriented Development.
- Land policies to ensure equitable balance for housing for all.
- For housing catering to the lower income groups, define basic socially acceptable standard housing unit based on what is required for decent living. The floor space requirement for standard unit based on building by-laws, regulatory constraints and market conditions. The definition should also include minimum standards for basic amenities (running water, a toilet) as well as access to essential social services such as schools and health clinics. An acceptable housing unit should also place workers no more than an hour’s commute from centers of employment.
- Region specific guidance to developers on value engineering to improve capital productivity and industrial or modular construction techniques to improve labor productivity and shorten delivery time.
- Housing policies and regulations to support the implementation of strategies.
© Copyright U.S. Green Building Council, Inc. All rights reserved.
Please sign in to leave a comment.