To improve operational efficiency of the waste management system.
CITIES, COMMUNITIESProvide smart waste management systems using any or both of the following to handle a minimum of 20% of the waste generated within the city.
Option 1. Pneumatic Transport Systems
- Loading Stations – Public areas and private property with pneumatic transport system will have hatches, called loading stations where the waste will enter the Automatic Waste Collection System (AWCS) pipe network. At this station, a minimum of two pipes one for compostable and another for recyclable waste will run underground.
- Transport Network – Underground transport network will have 19 inch (500 millimeters) diameter pipes coated by 3-layer PE coating. PVC conduits containing both the compressed air conduits and system communication control cables will run parallel to the waste pipes.
- Central Waste Handling Facility – At central waste handling facility all pipes will transfer waste for compacting and an automated software will direct the compacted waste to the proper container, from there to be trucked for recycling.
Option 2. Smart Bins and Route Optimization
- Sensor Bins – Ultrasonic sensors installed in municipal bins to guide fill level of waste and a communication system will transfer this information to the cloud for further processing and analysis.
- Sensor Bins with Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology for e-waste: Electronic waste bins installed with ultrasonic sensors and RFID technology to automatically identify and track tags attached to products. The tags containing electrically stored information will exchange information between cloud and trucks for disposal or directly for the waste bins where the information from each bin is conveyed to the cloud and product recycling can be eased.
- Route Optimization – Information analyzed at the cloud will be processed further and sent to waste vehicle operators to optimize the fleet routing for waste collection.
© Copyright U.S. Green Building Council, Inc. All rights reserved.
Please sign in to leave a comment.