To demonstrate an improvement over time in key metrics pertaining to a person’s quality of life.
CITIES, COMMUNITIESSelect up to four (4) of the following metrics and demonstrate either an annual improving trend from a baseline year no more than five years prior to the most recent reporting year or achievement of the stated thresholds. One point is available for each metric demonstrating improvement.
- Population with a High School Degree – Portion of population aged 25 years and over who have obtained a high school diploma
- Threshold: Equal to or greater than 70%
- Graduation Rate – Portion of school district’s initial cohort class graduating from high school (or ISCED level 3)
- Threshold: Equal to or greater than 90%
- Small Businesses – Number of businesses having fewer than 500 employees per 1,000 residents
- Threshold: Equal to or greater than 20
- Unemployment Rate – Portion of population in the labor market who are not employed
- Threshold: Between 3 to 4 percent
- Poverty Rate – Portion of population living below the national poverty line
- Threshold: Declining at a rate of zero poverty by 2025
- Percentage of household incomes meeting the living wage standard – Portion of households meeting the living wage for the area
- Threshold: Equal to or greater than 80%
- Violent Crime – Incidents of violent crime, weighted by type, per 100,000 people
- Thresholds: Equal to or less than 5.5 homicides, 70 incidents of forcible rape, and 462.7 aggravated assaults.
- Asthma rate – Portion of the population aged 18 years and over who have current asthma prevalence
- Threshold: None, trend decreasing only
- Hypertension – Portion of the population aged 18 years and over with high blood pressure
- Threshold: Non, trend decreasing only
- Obesity rate – Portion of the population aged 18 years and over who have a body mass index (BMI) greater than or equal to 30.0 kg/m2
- Threshold: Equal to or less than 26%
© Copyright U.S. Green Building Council, Inc. All rights reserved.