To encourage the use of products and materials for which life cycle information is available and that have environmentally, economically, and socially preferable life cycle impacts. To reward cities for selecting products verified to have been extracted or sourced in a responsible manner.
CITIES, COMMUNITIESOption 1: Purchase 20% by cost of permanently installed top three infrastructure materials
Demonstrate that city is using one or more of the following criteria for minimum 20% by cost of the total value of permanently installed top three materials used in infrastructure [1 point].
Option 2: Purchase 40% by cost of permanently installed top five infrastructure materials
Demonstrate that city is using one or more of the following criteria for minimum 40% by cost, of the total value of permanently installed top five materials used in infrastructure [2 points].
Include new construction or demolition works undertaken or contracted by the local government for a period of one full calendar year. Infrastructure includes but is not limited to roads and highways, transits, water supply and wastewater treatment plants, public spaces and parks.
Material used must meet at least one of the following sourcing and extraction requirements:
- Extended producer responsibility (EPR) - Products purchased from a manufacturer (producer) that participate in an EPR program or is directly responsible for extended producer responsibility. Products meeting EPR criteria are valued at 50% of their cost for the purpose of credit achievement calculations.
- Leadership extraction practices – Material reuse – Reuse includes salvaged, refurbished or reused materials/products. Materials meeting reuse criteria are valued 200% of their cost for the purpose of credit achievement calculations.
- Leadership extraction practices – Recycled content – Materials meeting recycled content criteria are valued 100% of their cost for the purpose of credit achievement calculations.
- Recycled content is the sum of post-consumer recycled content plus one half of pre-consumer recycled content, based on weight.
- The recycled fraction of the assembly is then multiplied by the cost of assembly to determine the recycled content value.
- Leadership extraction practices – USGBC approved program – Other USGBC approved program meeting responsible sourcing and extraction criteria.
Reference: LEED BD+C v4 MR Credit: Building Product Disclosure and Optimization- Sourcing of raw materials.
© Copyright U.S. Green Building Council, Inc. All rights reserved.
Please sign in to leave a comment.